Lessons on Learning
Each month, we will take an inside peek at how CSISD faculty and staff help students learn.
Please click the links below to view "Lessons on Learning" videos.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Grant Patrol Surpasses $1 Million
- Education Foundation's Grant Patrol awarded more than $141,014 in teacher grants at all 16 CSISD campuses, surpassing the $1 million mark in giving back to CSISD.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Books for a Head Start
- An anonymous donation to College Station ISD’s Head Start program allowed each student the opportunity to purchase books at their school’s book fairs.
- LINK TO VIDEO: A Different Take on Final Exams
- A College View High School class had a different final exam experience as they worked in groups on a project-based assignment for a final grade.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Critters & Creatures
- Rock Prairie hosted its Critters and Creatures day, which was full of fun activities ranging from a morning sing-along to visiting Dinosaur George, a traveling learning exhibit. Students also dug outdoors at an "excavation site" and learned about archaeology.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Parents Matter Night
- Southwood Valley parents chose which classes to attend from more than 25 teacher-led session in areas of Reading, Math, Dyslexia and Spanish. Each session's goal was to help parents better support their child's learning both at school and at home.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Grant Patrol
- Education Foundation's annual Grant Patrol awarded over $120,923 at all 16 CSISD campuses. Teachers from each campus received grants to bring innovative ideas to life in their classrooms.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Super Techno Science Night
- Southwood Valley Elementary School's annual Super Techno Science Night showcases fascinating science and technology activities. Students experience hands-on activities with volunteers from Texas A&M University.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Lemonade Day
- Lemonade Day at Greens Prairie Elementary uses hands-on learning to show students how classroom topics play an important role in the everyday business world. The money raised from the sales go towards charities the students choose.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Gravity Visualized
- Cypress Grove science teacher Whitney Chenault creates a way to help her students visualize gravity in a three-dimensional space with marbles and fabric.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Astronaut Camp
- Science teachers at Creek View Elementary School help organize astronaut camp week. This interactive science week includes hands-on activities and a trip inside a planetarium.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Using Technology in the Classroom
- Alan November, a world-renowned technology consultant, recently visited College Station ISD to guide students, teachers, and administrators on the use of technology in the classroom and at home.
- LINK TO VIDEO: AVID - Advancement via Individual Determination
- Oakwood's AVID program grows bigger each year and is on a mission to become the first national demonstration intermediate school. The program’s main goal is to prepare students for college readiness and success.
- LINK TO VIDEO: I Spy Great Thinkers Camp
- "I Spy" was the theme for Creek View Elementary's second math and literacy camp for third graders.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Learning Science Through Music
- Greens Prairie Elementary third graders presented the musical, "Science Rocks," and learned about science in the process.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Leadership CSISD
- With a commitment to remain transparent and engaged with the community, the district's Leadership CSISD program gives opportunity for community members to get an inside look at its goals, operations, and culture.
- LINK TO VIDEO: New Teacher University
- Over the course of three days, New Teacher University not only mentors those who are just starting their teaching careers, but also guides experienced teachers transitioning from other school districts.
- LINK TO VIDEO: You Matter Staff Development
- The You Matter Staff Development Conference allows the teachers to decide what types of professional development classes they wish to attend, ranging from instructional strategies to hands-on technology workshops.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Dual Language Program Overview
- College Independent School District's Bilingual Education Program integrates native English speakers with native Spanish speakers and provides instruction through both languages to both groups of students.
- LINK TO VIDEO: More than a Fish Fry
- Students at AMCHS learned several valuable lessons while raising talapia for a fish fry to benefit charity.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Community-Based Accountability
- How can school districts measure success other than state mandated tests? College Station ISD developed an accountability system which ranks the district and individual campuses using a variety of indicators deemed important by the community.
- LINK TO VIDEO: AVID, Paving the Path to College
- The AVID program helps students learn the necessary skills to succeed in rigorous curriculum, including advanced and college courses. The habits and behaviors developed in AVID are confirmed by former AVID students who now serve as tutors.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Creek View Writing Camp
- Camp Creek View is a new week-long adventure designed by fourth grade teachers to motivate their students to improve writing skills through rotational instruction.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Enrichment Specialists, Teaching Above and Beyond
- Elementary enrichment specialists provide the extra education for all elementary students. Along with staging UIL competitions, organizing clubs and assembly speakers, and many other activities, they teach gifted and talented students. They truly provide experiences that are above and beyond the classroom.
- LINK TO VIDEO: The Readers' and Writers' Workshop Model
- The workshop model of instruction allows choice for students, time for individual and group instruction, and for all students to be engaged in learning no matter their level.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Intermediate School Coding Clubs
- Cypress Grove and Oakwood Intermediate schools are embarking on an initiative to teach its students to computer code in an after-school club.
- LINK TO VIDEO: Success 24/7 - an online resource for students
- Thanks to the development of the Success 24/7 website, students in certain classes now have the ability to use online resources from CSISD teachers to supplement their work in class