Note: This is an overview of some of the items on the June board workshop and meeting agendas. This recap does not include every item on the agendas. Official meeting minutes will be made available on www.csisd.org following approval at the July board meeting. A video and audio recording of the workshop and meeting will be made available within seven days of the meeting at csisd.org.
2016-17 Budget Discussion: The board received an administrative update regarding the development of the 2016-17 budget.
The board reviewed staffing and budgeting priorities for the 2016-17 and were presented with a third draft of the revenue and expenditure numbers. The numbers this month reflect an overall budget deficit projection of $705,444. The projected deficit during the May board presentation was $2,023,334 and the initial numbers presented in March reflected an overall deficit budget projection of $3,248,632.
Prior to receiving the initial property value estimates from the appraisal district for the 2016-17 budget, CSISD was estimating an increase of six percent. The current budget projections assume a conservative property value increase of nine percent. CSISD will receive certified values in late July.
CSISD will continue to review staffing and budget requests, while updating revenue projections over the next two months. The 2016-17 budget and tax rate will be adopted at the August board meeting.
Approval of new administrator contracts: The board approved the new administrator contracts of Amanda Gibson, Lindsey Fuentes, Robert McEver, Sabrina Pomales, Chris Southard and Jeremy Stewart, for various administrative positions within CSISD.
A complete list of administrative changes for the 2016-17 school year can be seen below.
Administrator - New Campus/Position - Previous Campus/Position
Kellie Deegear* - Principal, Pecan Trail Int. - Principal, Cypress Grove Int.
Holly Scott* - Principal, Cypress Grove Int. - Asst. Principal, AMCMS
Sabrina Pomales - Asst. Principal, AMCMS - New hire from out of district
Aaron Hogan - Asst. Principal, Cypress Grove, Int. - Asst. Principal, AMCHS
Robert McEver - Asst. Principal, AMCHS - New hire from out of district
Chris Southard - Asst. Principal, CSHS - New hire from out of district
Jeremy Stewart - Asst. Principal, CVHS - Dean of Students, CVHS
Lindsey Fuentes - Asst. Director for Special Services - New hire from out of district
Amanda Gibson - Coordinator of Science - Teacher, Forest Ridge Elem.
* approved at a previous board meeting
Approval of employee salaries for 2016-17 school year: The board approved a 2.5% salary increase for all CSISD employees.
The 2.5% salary increase is an effective pay increase of 2.0% due to state law requiring employees to contribute 0.5% more to the Teacher Retirement System. Passed in 2013, Senate Bill 1458 required employee contribution be raised from 6.7% in 2014-15, to 7.2% in 2015-16 and 7.7% in 2016-17.
Since the unprecedented state budget reductions in the 2011 legislative session, CSISD employees have seen modest pay and insurance contribution increases.
- 2010-11: 1.0% salary increase
- 2011-12: No salary increase, $38/month increase in employer contribution to insurance premiums
- 2012-13: 1.5% salary increase
- 2013-14: 4.0% salary increase
- 2014-15: 1.8% salary increase
- 2015-16: 2.0% salary increase, implementation of tiered insurance rates
- 2016-17: 2.5% salary increase
- Approved the request for the annual pizza bid to Pizza Hut for the 2016-17 school year.
- Approved the purchase of two Toyota Sienna vans for the technology department from Silsbee Toyota through the Texas Local Government Statewide Purchasing Cooperative in the amount of $54,733 to be paid from the 2015-16 general fund.
- Approved the request for bid for library books to 21 vendors.
- Approved the request for proposal for office supplies, equipment, and office furniture to Wilton’s Office Works, Office Depot, and Pollock.
- Approved the purchase of band equipment for A&M Consolidated High School from Taylor Music Co. for $54,902 and West Music for $4,186.50 to be paid from the 2015-16 general fund.
- Approved the purchase of two shade structures for Forest Ridge Elementary from T.F. Harper & Associates for $64,673. The Forest Ridge PTO will fund $41,425 and the remaining $23,248 will be paid from 2015 bond funds.
- Approved the purchase of materials and labor from Firetron Inc., to upgrade the Public Address Systems at College Station High School and Greens Prairie Elementary for $166,424.16 to be paid from 20156 bond funds.
- Approved the purchase of voice-over IP telephones from CDW-G to replace aging analog and digital phone systems districtwide for $160,708 to be paid from 2013 and 2015 bond funds.