In November 2015, College Station ISD voters authorized the sale of $135.9 million in bonds. Among the items on the bond proposal was a third intermediate school (Pecan Trail Intermediate) a third middle school (name to be determined) and a 10th elementary school.
Construction is underway on Pecan Trail Intermediate, which is scheduled to open in August 2017. Middle School No. 3 and Elementary School No. 10 will open in August 2018. With new schools comes the need for new attendance zones.
The CSISD Board of Trustees received feedback regarding boundary adjustment through a series of public forums and email. The board used the community feedback and charged the 37-member, community committee with developing recommendations for the following:
- New attendance zones for grades 5-8
- Re-worked attendance zones for grades 9-12
- When to implement new high school attendance zones
- Grandfathering (transition)
- NOTE: The boundary adjustment work to accommodate Elementary School No. 10 will take place in the spring of 2017 and will go into effect in August 2018.
In addition, the Board of Trustees used the feedback to develop the following parameters to guide the committee when adjusting the attendance boundaries:
- Zone schools for a comparable composition of students.
- Zone schools for growth.
- Maximize the capacity of existing campuses.
- Ensure splitting middle schools does not disadvantage a school.
The boundary adjustment committee met six times in April and May to develop the recommendations.
Following the workshop, the recommended maps will be made available on the CSISD website.
The board will host three public forums to receive community feedback regarding the recommended attendance zones. The forums will be held on:
- Tuesday, September 6, 2016 - 7 p.m. - CSISD Transportation Center (9304 Rock Prairie Road)
- Wednesday, September 7, 2016 - noon - CSISD Transportation Center (9304 Rock Prairie Road)
- Monday, September 12, 2016 - 5:30 p.m. - CSISD Boardroom (1812 Welsh Ave.)
If is unable to attend any of the public forums and wishes to provide feedback, they may email the boundary adjustment committee at: email@example.com.
After the public hearings and receiving feedback via email, the boundary adjustment committee will consider the feedback and decide whether or not to amend the recommendations. The committee’s final recommendations will be presented to the Board of Trustees on Tuesday, September 20, at the regularly-scheduled meeting.